Monday, May 2, 2011

My first words...

As much as I'd love to have lots of time to commit to language learning, I have to admit that this hasn't been the case.  Between internship, fundraising, parenting, sharing at Care Groups, socializing and everything else that life includes these days, language learning has been at the bottom of the list of priorities (unfortunately).

Thankfully, we're not actually required to do any language study prior to mobilizing, but we decided that we'd like to try to get a bit under our belts before we leave.  So... for now, although the lessons are few and far between, we press on with Rosetta Stone Thai whenever we get the chance (ie: during Callie's naps on our days off :))

Here are just a few of the random words I've learned so far (showing the English word, the Thai word spoken phonetically, and then the thai script.) :

Hello (female speaker)/ Sa-wat-dii-kaสวัสดี
Thank-you (female speaker)/ Kup-kun-kaขอบคุณ
Girl / dek-puu-yingเด็กผู้หญิง
Boy / dek-puu-chaai เด็กผู้ชาย
Woman / puu-ying ผู้หญิง
Man / puu-chaaiผู้ชาย
Horse / maaม้า
Cat / maewแมว
Dog / su-nakhสุนัข
Elephant / chaangช้าง
Airplane / kruuang-binเครื่องบิน
Car / rotรถ
In / nai ใน
On / bonบน
Under / dtaai ใต้
Red / deeng สีแดง
Yellow / luuangสีเหลือง
Blue (sky blue)/ sii-faaสีฟ้า
White / kaaoขาว

There are actually quite a few others I could add to the list but I'll leave that for another day... :)

2 comments:

Jen Glen said...

I admit, the task that looms before you would completely overwhelm me! You will both be my heroes when all that you have just written and so much more is FLUENT for you! Wow.

Melissa Ens said...

Look online for the Thai Elephant Song. Callie would love it. : ) We sang it to Timothy over and over when he first joined our family... it's the best Thai I know. : )